Sunday, December 6, 2009

Stole 'N Symbols

I got my final project complete enough to take to church so my friend could model it (I told him to practice his catwalk strut) and I could take photos for the project. He reiterated that he liked using the less obvious or popular symbols as then people ask questions. They won't ask questions if they think they already know the answers. I also had photos of the church in Germany where I saw the bleeding pelican, and teased him that when he met me, he probably didn't know I'd know such esoteric information (he had to agree).

Several others ooh and aahed the stole so far (a number of women quilt and one had made my friend his Good Friday stole), associated the phoenix with Fawkes in the Harry Potter novels, and then my friend brought up the eagle and its symbolism. He pastors a dual parish (two churches) and the younger church had gotten most of their their paraments from the older congregation. One of these has an eagle, but other than representing the Gospel of John, he wasn't sure what the meaning of this bird was (and if for St. John, it would be on a white background, which this wasn't--he thinks it's purple, which is Lent or Advent). Not a problem--I looked it up in my book (you really don't need the Internet if you know me; I don't remember why I got the book on church symbolism, other than it was really cheap and I thought it would be a useful resource to have in my library--I've gotten my $3 worth. It has to do with Resurrection, the spirit and baptism.

While treasure hunting at the local thrift stores, I found another piece of religious visual rhetoric for a quarter. It's a bracelet with roses alternating with lilies and has a Mary medal at the end--I know roses and lilies are associated with Mary, but absent that reference, it appears to be a sterling silver bracelet that I can make fit my wrists and I like flowers. When I got it home, I discovered there are various depictions of St. Christopher, the Misercordia, etc., on the flip side of each flower. I'm not Catholic (I probably would be if it weren't for the theology--the ritual and visuals certainly appeal) but I thought the bracelet well worth what I spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment